Monday, August 24, 2009

6th Grade Begins





Today Sloan starts the 6th grade and I am like every other parent when I say where has the time gone? I can't believe my girl is in the 6th grade when I was just in 6th grade myself! Sloan has been ready to go back to school for a few weeks now but last night she "developed" a stomach ache and this morning she got a little teary eyed and told me she was nervous. I'm not sure why she would be other then she's my daughter, but honestly she's been going to school with the same group of kids for years now. (Maybe she thought picking the while uniform polo with 4 buttons was a mistake)

I know tonight at dinner I'll hear what shoes and backpacks all her friends had because at Catholic schools its all about the shoes and backpack. I'm sure its no surprise that Sloan picked out a peace signed messenger bag and a pair of Converse to wear today.

I'm a bit bummed today, its one of my milestone days in my head, the one when Sloan goes back to school I'll be 7 months pregnant milestone. On the last day of school last year I pictured me walking Sloan into class proudly displaying my belly and saying hello to the teachers. Instead I elected to drop Sloan off at the front door and go for a 4 mile walk by myself and cry while I listened to the Into the Wild soundtrack. Sweat and tears is almost as good as a bottle of wine I have to admit!

I'm feeling better now and anxious to hear about how Sloan's first day at school and kickball practice goes and whether she got embarrassed by the card I put into her lunch box telling her how much I love her!!

As you see I posted a photo I found of Sloan and I on her first day of preschool, I posted one of her by herself at preschool last year but this is one of Sloan's favorite photos that she keeps in her room. The other two photos are of her today, one taken for me so I can send to grandparents and the other one for Sloan's collection of peace-signed poses!

3 comments:

LIZ said...

Sloan was so cute when she was little...from little doc martin sandals to converse all stars...she always has worn the coolest of shoes!!

I know this was a bittersweet day for you, Laurie...hopefully the sweet will out power the bitter in the days ahead.

Glad to see you are out walking and listening to music..both good healers!!

Dawn said...

Sloan is still a cutie. I can't believe she is in 6th grade!

Dawn said...

Every time I pull up your blog, the picture of you and Sloan catches my eye. It's the cutest picture ever!