Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 8


My doctor came to see me at about 9:00 this morning. I don't think I was ever so glad to see someone. I feel very lucky that I like my doctor so much, she has a way of making me feel a bit calmer and she has a great bedside manner. I really appreciated the fact that she spent 45 minutes with me answering my many questions.

She advised me that the fluid around both of the girls looks very good and it is her opinion that we should proceed with the pregnancy and her motto is to let nature take its course. She also told me what I already knew that really its in God's hands and there is no way of predicting anything because everyone's body is different but she has seen medical miracles happen everyday. Although I understand this concept I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it because I'm wired to want to know all the facts and to need to know the final outcome. (Another lesson to learn perhaps?)

They will do a blood count this week and will do another ultrasound in a couple weeks. On the downside, I can't take my wheelchair rides anymore because she'd rather have me in bed for the next 2 weeks. She told me there was no need to seek any high risk medical help at this time but they are right here if we need them.

Twenty four weeks seems to be the magic number though, its when I'll be able to get the steroids to help the babies develop their lungs and its when I can get medication to stop labor if it happens. I am 21 weeks and 6 days today and she also suggested a small party every week, something to look forward to. (I wonder if I can celebrate with pina coladas?)

I also learned that Methodist Hospital and Riley Hospital work very close together when it comes to my type of case and once the babies are born there would be no reason to transfer them to Riley's unless they have a heart condition. Methodist is known to have the best NICU unit in Indiana.

I learned that losing a small amount of fluid each day wasn't something to be terribly concerned with and many women lose fluid throughout their entire pregnancy. I took my last round of antibiotics today and now we just wait and pray I do not get any sort of infection. At this point infection is really the main focus and if I come down with a fever they will start the antibiotics again. Infection is obviously bad because it can hurt the babies but also can make me very sick.

Today I learned this whole ordeal is pretty serious because all the doctors and nurses that were off this weekend came into my room and smiled and said, "Oh, you don't know how glad I am to see you!" (Trust me I know its not because of my sparkling personality!)

Every morning my nurse checks the babies heartbeats and today Baby A's heartbeat was 120 and Baby B's was 140. A milestone happened today though, my nurse felt Baby A kick. This is the first time someone besides me felt one of the babies. (Sorry Drew) Some of you have asked about the heartbeats and I wanted you to know that their heartbeats will fluctuate greatly from 100-160 depending on if they are sleeping, moving, burping, etc.

My doctor said I need to concentrate on keeping my mind active and these next 2 weeks will be hard, so if anyone has any suggestions on a fun project or craft let me know. I've never been much of a crafter but I guess Martha Stewart better look out now!!

(This is what I have to look at everyday, its like Chinese water torture watching that flippin' clock!)

7 comments:

Courtney said...

I think that makes sense to stop the wheelchair rides. Not worth the risk at this point. Hey, for 2 weeks, you canget through it! I'll bring cards next time I come. Hang in there!!

LIZ said...

Hi Laurie..I am so glad your doctor is back. I know how anxious you were for her to return. I think she calms you with her smooth demeanor. She seems very encouraged.

I knew you would get tired of the hospital food eventually. It is just nice to have your favorite meals and foods as more of a comfort than anything. Let me know what I can bring for you.

I am trying to think of crafty things for you to do, but I am not very crafty either, so I don't know. You could get Drew to bring your paints and some canvases up to the hospital...maybe that will inspire you to paint something. Meanwhile...if I see something cool and crafty, I will pick it up for you.

We will have a little room party for you when Kris comes to visit. I have to get all my return to work paperwork off to my Doctor and some forms to JT's Doc for college, so I won't be able to visit today...but probably tomorrow!! See you then... Luv ya!! Take care!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

Liz, I'm so excited you are preparing to go back to work. I'm not going through half the stuff you've gone through, you are for sure my inspiration! Don't worry about when you come, I want you to make sure you rest up before you go back to work! A room party with you and Kris sounds great though!!

Courtney-Thanks for having Sloan this weekend and bringing her to church on Sunday, she really got excited when they said my name! She had fun with Molly!

Sharon McKinley said...

You most definitely are in the best place for those babies and the neonatal unit at Riley is awesome. So glad to hear the doctor has calmed your nerves. It is really best for you just to be in bed and wait it out. Just think of the end result. A weekly party sounds like a good idea. At least you'll have something to look forward to! you could always learn to knit, or make jewelry. I think your paints would be a good idea! You could get all your christmas shopping done on line, watch every youtube video posted, you could count how many tiles there are on the ceiling (if there are any). The time will go by fast. You're always in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I was up there to keep you company. Take care and I'm glad you're keeping us updated!

Kim said...

It helps so much to have a doctor with a positive outlook. I'm so happy that she was able to calm you! Just think - you are almost to that "magical" point in your pregnancy...you absolutely should celebrate each week. I hope you invite me over for some of your parties! Let me know when you're up to us visiting you...that clock looks MESMERIZING - I can't wait to come and watch it with you! :)

xoxo

Marmie said...

I'm knitting a larger size pumpkin hat for Asher and a sweater for Rowan so I'm in the knitting groove again. I could teach you to knit in a flash. If interested, let me know. Also, Kim is quite the knitter!!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

I'm too uncoordinated to knit although you and Kim can make some pumpkin hats for the girls!! Ha! Ha! Thanks everyone for the kind words!