Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 6


As most of you know I've been in the hospital since 4:00 a.m. Monday night. I finally got internet at the hospital so I will try and update daily so my family and friends can be kept on top of how the babies, Sloan, Drew and I are doing.

I returned from vacation last Sunday night about 9:00 p.m. I was very happy to be home because I was extremely tired and I missed Drew very much. The pregnancy hormones have made me an incredible mushball. Looking back I haven't felt myself for a couple weeks but I kept chalking it up to the fact that I was having twins and that I am 39 years old. I try not to think about being 39, and I've only been 39 for a little over a month but I've never in my life been told how old I am this many times.

I had a trip to the E/R while I was on vacation. I woke up one morning and my feet were incredibly swollen and I was having a hard time catching my breath. They ran a series of tests, EKG, blood test and a CT scan and my diagnosis was I was 39 and having twins.

Drew and I went to bed around 11:00 p.m. on Sunday and I woke up around 3:15 for my usual bathroom break. While walking up the stairs I felt a little discomfort but thought I was probably tired and pregnant. I laid back down and after about 2 minutes it felt like I was actually peeing the bed! I thought, oh come on, this cannot be happening and this cannot be right. I got up and went to the bathroom and I knew I wasn't going to the bathroom because I was completely unable to control myself. I woke Drew up and called my doctor and they told me to get to the E/R.

After a series of test they confirmed my suspicions and indeed my water had ruptured. This condition is called PPROM. I was admitted to the hospital and was told this was very serious and there would be a good chance that I would lose the babies and it could be that day. They took an ultrasound and found the tear was in Baby B's sac but the good news was there was still fluid in the sac. The ultrasound also revealed I was probably around 21 weeks and not 22 weeks pregnant and the girls both weighed close to a pound.

For a week I have been treated with antibiotics by IV and orally and they check my vitals every 2 hours to make sure I do not come down with a fever or infection and they make sure I am not leaking. So far I've been lucky, no temp and no leaking and my body is responding well to the antibiotics. Physically I have actually felt better then I have in about 3 weeks. The downside is I've been on the internet a little too much and even though I have always given my friends and family the advice not to look on the internet when they are sick I have done exactly that. That damn internet has made it nearly impossible for me to fall asleep at night and has made me feel completely helpless.

For the most parts my spirits are pretty good but late at night seems to be worse for me. I can't help but think why me, I don't drink, smoke, I don't drink caffeine, I eat healthy, I take my prenatal vitamins and visit my doctor and then you see women who hurt their bodies and have a perfectly healthy babies. It doesn't help that they are checking my vitals at midnight, two, four and the doctors make their rounds at six. Another downside to all this is my doctor has been out of the country this week and doesn't return until Monday. I have seen many doctors and each one has a different take on the matter so I feel like I really need to put this in God's hands and know at the end of the day I've done the best that I can do for these babies.

A timeline of what is to come next is I see my doctor on Monday and she will decide how much longer I will be on my antibiotics, once I am off them I will lay here and they will monitor me like they always have, at 24 weeks I will receive steroids for the babies to help develop their lungs, 25 weeks is a good milestone for the babies and they are able to do more if I were to go into labor early. I try hard to focus on today but I can't help but wish these next few weeks away.

Lastly, I want to thank Drew who is the most amazing husband ever who keeps me strong and looks at only the positive, Sloan for being here for me everyday and making me laugh and for crying with me and being my best nurse ever, my mom for rushing to Indy to help us and the rest of my family and friends who have prayed and visited and kept in contact with us during this hard time. I feel blessed to have you all in our lives!

Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming our way!

4 comments:

LIZ said...

Hi Laurie...I am so glad you are blogging this journey. A minute doesn't go by that I am not thinking of you, Sloan and Drew and those two precious baby girls and I am praying continually.

You said it all here...it's IS in God's hands now..you are the vessel. God is good. He will see you through. Keep your faith strong! I love you all !!!

Dawn said...

Thanks for posting. I don't want to keep bugging you, but I want a minute to minute update.

Marmie said...

Ditto!! Ditto! If you don't feel up to blogging let Sloan be your secretary. We're saying rosaries for you.

Kim said...

I'm eager to hear what your doctor has to say on Monday. Just think - you're almost at 22 weeks now! Just take it one day at a time and try not to let yourself worry any further in advance than that. God will get you through this - I have faith!

I love you bunches. Keep the updates coming!