Friday, May 29, 2009

Whew Sloan Passed 5th Grade!






Today was Sloan's last day of 5th grade. As you can see by the title, she passed and she's officially a 6th grader now, I know you were all probably as worried as I was! She did an awesome job this year. I know you are all saying she has always done great but this year I'm especially proud, there was more homework, more projects and I barely helped her at all. She has proven herself way more responsible then I ever was at that age. I have caught her up at midnight working on homework and she's also gotten up early by herself to study just a bit more for a test. With each year my heart swells a little more at her accomplishments!

I did feel bad for her during mass this morning, the principal handed out certificates and when she named high honors for both semesters Sloan's name was not mentioned and instead she was presented with a high honors and an honors certificate. Most would be proud of these two certificates, honors means A's and B's and high honors is a GPA above 95%. Sloan's eyes teared up and my heart broke for her and I couldn't help but wonder what had happened this semester because her progress report this semester was the highest it ever had been. Well needless to say when we got her report card I looked over her grades her GPA was a 97% so we went back into school and Mrs. C felt horrible for the mistake. I told her it was fine but Mrs. C is wired like Sloan and I because she said no it's not right I would've been miffed if I didn't get recognized in front of the school! Talk about a bunch of overachievers!

In the end justice prevailed and Sloan was awarded her deserved certificate! Good thing, because we don't want that getting in the way of her entrance to Notre Dame in 6 years!!

(The first photo is Sloan's first day of 5th grade, the second photo is Sloan's last day of 5th grade and the 3rd photo is Sloan throwing away all her white uniform polos)

4 comments:

LIZ said...

Way to stick up for your kid, Momma! I feel so bad for Sloan, but I am sure seeing her Mother stick up for her and get her the recognition she earned means way more than having her name called out in class. It is one of those Mom memories she probably will remember forever.

Dawn said...

Way to go Sloan! You are a smarty just like your mom!

Marmie said...

I know what it's like to be the mom of an overachiever. You just swell with pride. A sin, but none the less....

Kim said...

I wasn't too worried about her passing 5th grade...after three times, she was bound to catch on! ;)

Yay, Sloan! We are all very proud of you. I hope you have a great summer!