Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Many Tests Can You Do on A Pregnant Gal?


Today I had multiple doctor appointments, one with a doctor who does prenatal screening and the other with my regular doctor. I was at my prenatal doctor for longer then I expected because they had to do 4 ultrasounds. They checked the fluid behind the babies necks and also checked the nasal bone and I am happy to report that all the test came back super and the chances for down's is quite low. From what I was able to decipher they look great. Baby B has turned since my last visit and both babies are laying the same way and when I looked at the ultrasound image it looked like a mirror image. I also got to hear the babies heart beat, and oh what a lovely sound!

Back to the reason they had to do four ultrasounds, get this, not only am I having twins, I'm having identical twins. The babies share a placenta. My only concern is the risk is a bit higher when this occurs and both doctors assured me they believe I have nothing to worry about and all that means at the moment is that they'll do an ultrasound at each visit to monitor the growth of the babies to make sure one is not taking away from another. Oh darn I have to see my babies at every visit!!

So I guess this rules out my crazy pregnant dreams of having a boy and a girl, I guess we're looking at either a Harry and Lloyd or Thelma and Louise! (Real names to be given out at a much later date!!)

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Your pregnancy keeps getting more exciting!

Kim said...

Wow! Dawn is right. I feel glued to your blog and twitters even more than usual lately! I AM SO EXCITED!!!

So that's how they determine whether they're identical? If they share a placenta? I'd always wondered how they know...

Yeah, DARN, you have to see your babies at each visit - how much does that suck! :P

Marmie said...

A friend of mine just got back to work after having identical boys. Is this a trend?

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

Yes all the cool people are doing it! When Drew and I do something we go all out!! Any guesses on 2 boys or 2 girls?

LIZ said...

I just have a feeling....I think they are....BOYS! What does Sloan think????

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

Sloan and Drew both say girls but I think they are boys!