Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why My Daughter Will Never Play Kickball Professionally

I was sitting on the bleachers yesterday waiting for Sloan to be done with kickball practice, their team was scrimmaging against another team and were about to wrap up their practice. Another team was playing a game later that evening and had started making its way over to the field.

The coach who was playing that night (who will remain nameless) called over to one of the other coaches and said, "Can I have the field?" The other coach said, "Sure, just one more out." Then the coach whose game was yesterday said as snotty as can be in front of about 30 girls and 5 or 6 parents, "Whatever, you'd think the team that was playing would have dibs on the field first but HEEEYYY that's just me!"

Unfortunately I made eye contact with the coach while this was said and I was asked, "Oh my God don't you agree?" My reply, "Ummmmm, it's kickball, not one of the things I tend to get too fired up about." Then I realized even though I was being asked a question, my response was not what the coach was looking for because by the time I finished my reply the coach had walked away.

These are the times where I dislike being a parent the most, interacting with parents I would never probably speak to if I didn't have a child that went to the same school. Its hard for me to be nice, hard for me not to be a smart ass but here's the thing, I am nice and I do suck it up because my daughter goes to school there and I think if I can put on my big girl pants and act appropriate for my child's sake I would hope a coach who is coaching our children in a CYO league could too.

Or maybe I'm just not cut throat enough to take kickball seriously enough and maybe that's why Sloan won't get that scholarship to Notre Dame to play kickball. Oh well, there's always that scholarship for four-square or dodgeball.

1 comments:

LIZ said...

sequel....Why My Daughter Will Never Play Kickball Professionally...and Why I Will Never Coach Kickball..Ever!